Everyone’s favorite comfort food soup in crockpot form! Hands-off and incredibly easy with 15 min prep work! That’s it!
Because I just had my fair share of this loaded baked potato soup.
Which also means I had my fair share of garnishes.
AKA. Extra bacon. Cheese. And green onions.
Wait. Green onions aren’t that bad for you.
So I think we’re just fine.
We’re also fine because we are making this in the slow cooker.
All you have to do is dump in your ingredients – then you can let it do its thing for 7-8 hours.
There’s no babysitting here.
Your only job is to have your garnishes ready for serving.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Place potatoes into a 4-qt slow cooker. Stir in chicken stock, onion, garlic, thyme, butter and bacon until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
- Using a potato masher, mash potatoes until desired consistency is reached. Stir in cheese, sour cream and heavy cream until smooth; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and cook on low heat until warmed through, stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes. If the mixture is too thick, add more chicken stock as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately.